Monday 15 March 2010

Purple

WARNING: When I am an old woman I shall wear purple

When I am an old woman, I shall wear purple
with a red hat that doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
and satin candles, and say we've no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I am tired
and gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
and run my stick along the public railings
and make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
and pick the flowers in other people's gardens
and learn to spit.

You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat
and eat three pounds of sausages at a go
or only bread and pickles for a week
and hoard pens and pencils and beer nuts and things in boxes.

But now we must have clothes that keep us dry
and pay our rent and not swear in the street
and set a good example for the children.
We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.
But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.


Some picks for anyone else who would like to practice...


Earrings (by me!!!)


scarflette (by hooked yarn)


Amethyst twist necklace










3 comments:

  1. Wearing purple and eating lots of sausages sounds good to me!
    Lovely pick and your earrings are gorgeous. I like the artistic plant arrangement too :D
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it, purple is my favourite colour at the moment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this poem, I shall definately be wearing Purple when I'm older!!

    ReplyDelete

src="http://www.linkwithin.com/pixel.png" alt="Related Posts with Thumbnails" style="border: 0" />