Monday 7 May 2012

May Birthstone

Who first beholds the light of day
In spring's sweet, flower month of May
And wears an Emerald all her life
Shall be a loved and a loving wife.

Emerald is the birthstone for May. It's a true gemstone, as opposed to a semi-precious stone. Emerald tends to have numerous inclusions and is graded by eye, rather than a loupe. These inclusions mean that it is not a particularly strong stone. It's such a special stone it even has a cut named after it. Which shows off the stone's colour to it's best, whilst maintaining a strong shape.

In 1953 Jacqueline Bouvier was presented a 2.88 carat diamond and emerald engagement ring by Senator John F. Kennedy. Apparently, John Kennedy's father, Joe Sr. picked out Jackie's emerald engagement ring. Not the most romantic, but still who wouldn't be thrilled with this beauty....


I've always loved that deep emerald green colour. I always look for clothes in this colour, but rarely find any. I once saw Mary Hansen, from Stereolab on stage in a gorgeous emerald green sequinned dress many, many (many) moons ago. I wanted that dress then, and I still want it 20 years later. One day I'll make it happen. I'll probably be in a nursing home by the time I get round to it, but I will make it happen dagnammit.

I'm working on a couple of emerald birthstone pieces for the shop - some gold wire wraps, a first foray into the world of gold!! Plus I have some lovely teeny cabs which I'm setting onto silver to make some pretty little earrings. I'll let you know when I have pictures!


No comments:

Post a Comment

src="http://www.linkwithin.com/pixel.png" alt="Related Posts with Thumbnails" style="border: 0" />